Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Humble Cooked Chook

I don’t know about other bloggers, but I am sick of the cooked chooks we buy from the supermarket and the take away chicken stores.

They are overloaded with salt (no good for my hubby with his high BP) and sometimes the flesh is so dry, and other times it is just mushy.

So…..I have decided to cook my own whenever I can. 

I bought a lovely big plump chicken - fresh from the supermarket  - and did my own stuffing  - and, the result was a scrumptious moist chicken with a lovely flavour.

Here are the steps I used.

025

Some left over crusts I had in the freezer.  Processed until fine breadcrumbs. (Stale white bread without the crusts is better)

026

Some left over bits of onion  and some dried mixed herbs.  Fresh herbs would be better, but alas my herb garden is non-existent at present.  Process the onions with the breadcrumbs.

027

Add a little salt, a grinding of black pepper and about 1/4 teasp white pepper.

028

The processed crumbs and onion with herbs and seasonings added.

029

Add some hot water til the bread mix is firm and form into a log.

030

Stuff into poor old girl. (you know where**) Mine had a split at the top of the leg.  Perfect for putting a dab of butter into.

031

‘Sew’ opening up with a metal skewer. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.

032

I decided to truss this ol girls legs together as she was looking most uncomely. 033

I cooked mine in my Mum’s old electric frypan circa 1979.  It is much nicer in the oven, but I was in a hurry and with the lid on this one, it kind of steams it through.  You may like to use an oven bag if using the oven.  The potatoes and pumpkin done in this old frypan with the chicken were just really yummo.

Forgot to take a picture of the meal before we gobbled it up.  The meat was so tender and moist and the stuffing was to die for.  Will definitely be cooking my own as much as possible.

5 comments:

shirley said...

You have convinced me that this is the way to go with chickens again...and I agree with your comments about the bought cooked ones....mushy and salty or dry and salty ....and so small....

I bet Kev enjoyed it.

Suztats said...

Living in the bush where I do, there are no take-aways........closest is 30 minutes away.....so I always cook my own. Home cooked is always better!!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Good Day Di,

That Chook looked like it would be very yummie to eat.

WOW love your new embellisher. I have a baby lock one I bought about 6 years ago. I am sure you will have lots of fun with it. Your Desert landscape looks fantastic. Hugs Judy

Stitching Lady said...

Yummie - it sounds good and I can nearly smell it - (the moment when it came out of the oven).
Of course, I do my own cooking but very simple and fast. And only parts of chicken. We eat so little.
It is wonderful how you describe your procedure and instructive.

Linda said...

Great looking chook Dianne. My mother always moistened the stuffing with a little cream. We had a bought one last night, and you are quite right, far too salty. I always find I'm going to the sink for water after dinner when we have one - I'm not a fan of oversalting. I've taken to making my own too a fair bit of the time, SO much nicer. Certainly looked like a well fed old girl too...........LOL....